There is just something about Boston Creme Pie. I am not sure if it is the combination of the chocolate and creme filling or the ease of making it. Possibly it is the 2 things together. Boston creme “pie” is really a sponge cake. It is named because it turns out as light and fluffy as a sponge. The cake includes two layers filled with a creamy vanilla-flavored custard and topped with rich chocolate icing. Can you say yum? I know I can.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Amazon & Walmart affiliate links are most often used.
If you like this recipe, you may enjoy my Never Inappropriate Mixed Berry Cobbler.
Fun Boston Creme Pie Facts
- The Boston Cream Pie was first made by Armenian-French chef M. Sanzian while working at Boston’s Parker House Hotel in 1856.
- Even though it is called a pie, it is actually a cake and not a pie. Confusing right?
- A Boston cream doughnut is a name for a donut filled with vanilla custard and topped with icing made from chocolate. These normally come as a round-filled donut or as an eclair.
- This donut was chosen as the official donut of Massachusetts in 2003.
- The Boston Creme Pie was proclaimed the official Massachusetts State Dessert on December 12, 1996.
- The largest Boston Creme Pie in the world was made in 2010 by culinary students at Southern New Hampshire University. The Boston Creme Pie measured 10 ft wide 1.5 ft high and weighed over a generous 1 ton. Could you even imagine the ingredients it took to make this? I know I can’t
The Most Delicious Boston Creme Pie Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray two 9in round baking pans.
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time until combined.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Alternate between the milk and dry ingredients, beating until combined after each ingredient.
- Divide the batter between the two pans.
- Bake in the oven for 33-36 minutes and allow to cool completely on a counter.
Creme filling Instructions
- Using a medium pot, whisk until combined the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Gradually whisk in the milk.
- Whisk in the egg yolks.
- Place onto the stove over medium heat and let it come to a boil while gradually whisking.
- Continue to whisk until a thick pudding forms, about 1 minute after it starts to boil.
- Remove from heat and scoop into a medium bowl, cover with plastic, and place into the fridge while you make the ganache.
Chocolate Ganache Instructions
- Using a small pot, bring the heavy whipping cream to a simmer.
- Pour the 2 C semi sweet chocolate chips into a medium bowl.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips and let sit for 1 minute.
- Whisk until smooth and set aside to cool.
Building the cake
- Remove 1 cake layer from a pan and place onto a serving plate.
- Spread the creme filling onto the cake layer.
- Place the second layer of cake on top.
- Place the cake into the fridge to harden for an hour.
- This will also help the ganache set quicker.
- Once your cake is firm and cold, remove it from the fridge and spread the ganache all around the cake.
- Using the mini chocolate chips, coat the sides of the cake, leaving the top as a smooth chocolate top.
- Cut and serve with a big glass of milk!
Visit my list of Baking, Cooking, Garden, and Kitchen Appliances favorites here on Amazon.