Carrot cake is one of the holidays’ favorite desserts for sure. But when it is combined with the texture and flavor of a cobbler, it is absolutely heavenly. Carrot cake has around usually on Easter or at tea parties, but having it as a whole dessert but be different.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Amazon & Walmart affiliate links are most often used.
When it is made into a cobbler, the definition of ultimate dessert is complete. The fluffiness and earthiness of the carrot cake go perfectly well with the cobbler-like texture and brown sugar walnut topping. It is rich and decadent that you will keep coming back for more, and at the top, it is very easy to make.
Carrot Cake Cobbler Ingredients Breakdown:
- Flour: It makes the base of the cake and the cobbler
- Carrots: It is the base of the dish. It adds flavor and a unique salty-sweet taste to the cake.
- Baking powder: it works as a rising agent, and it makes the cake fluffy and airy.
- Kosher salt: It enhances the flavor of the cake and balances the sweetness too.
- Sugar: Of course, to make the dessert sweet and delicious.
- Cream Butter: It makes the cake batter fluffy, soft, and decadent.
- Apple sauce: It improves the texture of the cake cobbler. It also acts as fat content, just like butter.
- Milk: It also improves the texture of the batter and keeps it moist.
- Vanilla extract: It enhances the aroma and taste of the cake cobbler.
- Spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves are traditional flavors of a carrot cake. It makes the cake cobbler earthy and enhances the sweet flavor.
- Make sure that the oven is preheated; otherwise, the cake will not rise and become dense.
- Make sure your eggs and butter are at room temperature. These will make the cake fluffy and light.
- Mix the batter well to avoid lumps. But do not over-mix it. Over mixing will make the air bubble escape the batter, and the batter will become dense.
- Do not stir the batter once you have poured the hot water; otherwise, the cake will become unpleasantly mushy.
Variations and Substitutes:
- Apples: If you want to enhance the carrot cake cobbler, then you can freely use a combination of grated carrots and apples too. It will help delicious flavor and texture to the cake and an element of surprise too.
- Fats: We are using a combination of both, but you can either completely use apple sauce or butter as well. It is up to you and the availability of the ingredient. You can also use vegetable oil.
- Chocolate chips: You can add chocolate chips to the cake batter as well. It will give a decadent and rich element to the cake cobbler. It went very well with the ice cream and salted caramel topping.
- Vanilla bean or paste: You can add the paste from the fresh vanilla bean pod or store-bought paste as well. But remember that less is more.
- Nut toppings variation: If you are not a fan of all walnut topping, then you can add pecans, almonds, and pistachio as well. You can use a combination of these nuts as well.
- Serving variation: You can use vanilla ice cream or cheesecake ice cream for serving. You can serve the cobbler with just whipped cream, peanut butter sauce, and salted caramel too.
Carrot Cake Cobbler Recipe-A New Twist on an Old Favorite
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup walnuts chopped
- 1½ cups hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×9 baking dish with pam baking spray.
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Using a medium bowl, whisk the applesauce, milk, melted butter, vanilla, and grated carrots.
- Gradually whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish.
- Using a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, light brown sugar, and chopped walnuts.
- Sprinkle over the batter.
- Carefully pour the hot water over the top.
- Bake in the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the middle is set.
- Allow cooling for 10 minutes before serving with ice cream!