Turtle anything is always a winner in our household. These turtle brownies are nothing short of decadent in my opinion. There is just something about the combination of caramel bites, chocolate chips, and pecan that will have your family asking, “when will you be making those brownies again?”.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are ‘affiliate links’. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission.
What Will I Need to Make these Turtle Brownies?
First for the brownie portion of the recipe you will need:
- sweet cream butter, melted and cooled
- canola oil
- white sugar
- light brown sugar, packed
- pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- cocoa powder
- kosher salt
- baking powder
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
Next for the Chocolate Ganache you will need these ingredients:
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- heavy whipping cream
- chopped pecans
- mini chocolate chips
- caramel bites
- salted caramel sauce
- 2 disposable piping bag
Do You Know the Origin of the Turtle Candies?
There is nothing is quite as tasty as the mix of caramel, nuts, and chocolate. These three simple items are the backbone for so many beloved candies.
As with all of America’s best candies, its origins are early 1900’s. In 1916 in Chicago (known as the windy city) that Mr.DeMet brought the Turtle to life. All of those years ago, it only came in combination, which was chocolate, pecans, and caramel. Peanuts tend to be the nut of choice in a variety of candies, we imagine that using pecans must have been quite a big deal back then!
The pecan was most likely what helped the candy get its name. After all, with its round and slightly rough shape, it makes a lot of sense that pecans look more like a turtle than any other nut.
The Turtle is a busy fellow these days. He now comes in more flavors than ever before! Those that enjoy the original Turtles now have more types to choose from such as cashew, sea salt caramel, and dark .
Slow and Steady Wins the Race
Over the year the business has changed hands, but rest assured its treats’ remain top-notch quality.
The current owners of DeMet’s Turtles, sells over 81 million candy products each year. To keep up with that amount of production, they use 7,000 tons of chocolate coating and 13,000 tons of nuts! Can you imagine seeing that much chocolate and nuts?
Do not worry your favorite snack, isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
Chewy Turtle Brownies
Directions for Brownies:
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9×13 baking pan with Pam baking spray.
- 2. Using a medium bowl, melt the butter.
- 3. Using a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, oil, and sugars.
- 4. Whisk in the eggs and 2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- 5. Using a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder.
- 6. Gradually whisk in the dry ingredients into the wet.
- 7. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- 8. Pour batter into the baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 9. Allow cooling completely
Chocolate Ganache Directions:
- 1. Using a small pot, bring the heavy cream to a boil.
- 2. Pour over the chocolate chips in a medium bowl and let sit for 1 minute.
- 3. Whisk until smooth.
- 4. Scoop ¼ C of the ganache into the piping bag.
- 5. Scoop ¼ C of the salted caramel sauce into the second piping bag.
- 6. Spread the remaining chocolate ganache onto the top of the brownies
- 7. Sprinkle the chopped pecans, mini chocolate chips, and caramel bites all over the top of the brownies.
- 8. Cut the tips off the two piping bags and drizzle both over the brownies.
- 9. Cut into bars and enjoy!
To Keep Up to Date with any New Recipes Follow our Facebook page here: Before & After Lunch Recipes.