As we get closer to Valentine’s Day this Red Hots Cookie recipe reminds me of when I was a kid. Grandma would make cookies for my Grandpa and us kids. Grandpa always said Grandma knew more than one way to his heart, and cookies were one of them. My grandparents got married when they were 16 and 15. Their marriage lasted for almost 65 years but then my Grandpa passed away at the age of 80 on Christmas Day. Valentines Day always makes me think of their love and what a testament it was. I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as we did, (and still, do to this day).
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Amazon & Walmart affiliate links are most often used.
Heart Warming Red Hots Cookie Recipe
- ¼ cup red hot candies crushed
- 24 pieces red hot candies heart shaped
- ½ cup butter unsalted sweet cream, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg large
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅐ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a food processor, grind up the ¼ C of red hot candies until they are crushed.
- Using a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla, and egg until fluffy and combined.
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Fold in the crushed up red hot candies.
- Using a medium ice cream scooper, scoop out some dough onto the cookie sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 7 minutes.
- Place back into the oven and bake for another 2 – 3 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool before enjoying.