Totally Extreme Oreo Cupcakes Recipe
Have you had extreme oreo cupcakes before?
Oreo is a cupcake in every chocolate lover’s heaven. And when we say extreme, it is a completely different level. What’s the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word cupcake? Let me guess, you think of a cute little doom-shaped piece of cake with frosting that you can eat in one bite? That’s true for any regular cupcake, but we are talking about extreme cupcakes.
Those who don’t know what these cupcakes are, let me tell you these aren’t any ordinary ones. Extreme cupcakes, by definition, are loaded with several items. It is literally impossible to eat these in one bite and without creating a mess. However, it is the most delicious thing ever! They are rich in so many flavors and textures, and above all, you can customize them in any way you like.
Honestly, I have seen several extreme cupcake videos but never got a chance to try one at home. So, when I did decide to make one for my family, I chose Oreo cupcakes. That’s because my family loves them. Here is everything about these luscious and loaded cupcakes.
Main components of these Extreme Oreo Cupcakes
Extreme cupcakes have two main components, i.e.:
- Cupcake or base: you can choose any cupcake recipe and any flavor. You can make either vanilla or chocolate cupcakes. It is purely your choice. However, I love chocolate cupcakes. My cupcake recipe is pretty simple, but the choice of ingredients is quite unique. That’s because I like to create a depth of flavor. For instance, I use buttermilk in my cupcakes which is quite an unusual ingredient, and not many use it. It’s the slightly sour flavor and fluffy texture that beats everything else. You should try it someday!
- Toppings or frosting: A typical cupcake uses frosting. But, for this extreme cupcake, I make the frosting and a couple of other toppings. The frosting recipe is pretty basic. Just fold Oreo pieces in the end, and that’s it!
It’s the assembly that’s the most interesting part of this cupcake. Here is how I assemble these cupcakes.
- I start by taking the cupcakes out of the oven and cooling them. Remember letting them cool is the most crucial part of the whole cupcake making. If your cupcakes are warm, the frosting will melt away. Trust me, you wouldn’t want that!
- Once the cupcakes are ready, I create a base for the toppings by covering the top with plain vanilla frosting. You can also scoop it on top using an ice-cream scooper to create a dome. That works really well too.
- Next, you add crushed Oreo frosting to it.
- Lastly, place an Oreo cookie on top.
- Oh, and don’t forget to drizzle chocolate syrup and a few sprinkles to create a wow effect.
- That’s it! Delicious mouthwatering and visually appealing extreme Oreo cupcakes are ready!
Note: You can also add a few extra toppings like M & M’s, crushed nuts, etc.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Amazon & Walmart affiliate links are most often used.
Totally Extreme Oreo Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 small ice cream scooper
- 1 mini flat angled spatula
- 1 large piping bag with a star tip
Chocolate cupcakes Ingredients
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup Hershey cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup Canola oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg large
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Ingredients for the Vanilla and Oreo frosting
- 2 cups butter sweet cream, softened
- 4½ cups powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup finely crushed Oreo crumbs
- 18 oreo cookies for topping
Chocolate cupcakes Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk in the sugar and brown sugar until combined.
- Whisk in the oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Fill each one 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake in the oven for 21 minutes .
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool.
To make the frosting
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream until combined, smooth and stiff with peaks.
Topping the cupcakes
- Using the ice cream scooper, scoop out some vanilla frosting and top it onto the cupcakes.
- Use the mini angled spatula to smooth out the frosting into a thick mound.
- Repeat step to remaining cupcakes.
- Using the frosting that you have left, beat in the crushed oreo cookies.
- Scoop into the piping bag.
- Pipe dollops on to of the vanilla frosting.
- Top each with oreo cookie & Enjoy!
But First Desserts Page on Facebook
Visit my list of Baking, Cooking, Garden, and Kitchen Appliances favorites here on Amazon.
Wow your Totally Extreme Oreo Cupcakes look incredible ! I will definitely be making these with my kiddos!
I appreciate your comment, Melinda. I am sure you and your kids will really enjoy them. Let me know how they turn out!