The other day, I was thinking of doing something extraordinary for my daughter’s birthday party. Baking a cake was a good option, but I wanted something that could bring a smile to every kid’s face. So, after spending a lot of time brainstorming, I came up with an amazing idea.
If you are looking for an amazing yet simple recipe for your kids’ birthday party, how about you try these awesome Minnie mouse cupcakes? For someone who loves baking and has an eye for art, these cupcakes are an amazing treat for you and your loved ones.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Amazon & Walmart affiliate links are most often used.
What are the Main Components of these Minnie Mouse Cupcakes?
These cute cupcakes are made from three components.
The fondant: These cupcakes are not just soft and delicious to eat, but they are visually cute. Their cuteness comes from the fondant, of course. For those who don’t know what fondant is, it is edible play dough! It is made from sugar paste, and you can knead it to make a dough. Add different food colorings to sculpt different characters and shapes. I love working with fondant. It is so much fun, and the options are infinite. Furthermore, I also have my daughter along to help me out. It is a great activity!
The cake base: There are so many different cupcake recipes for you to try. Honestly, I appreciate straightforward recipes. The ones that don’t require a lot of measurements etc. So, what I do is I use a cake mix. It is super easy to make, is quick, and gives perfect results.
The Frosting: Everyone loves frosting. The fluffy and thick flavorsome frosting completes the cupcakes. My recipe for frosting consists of four simple ingredients, i.e., unsalted sweet cream butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract.
Minnie Mouse|Daisy Duck Inspired Cupcake Recipe
- 1 Wilton fondant bow mold
- 1 Daisy floral fondant plunger
- 1 mini circle fondant cutter
- 22 cupcake liners
- cupcake pan
- 1 large piping bag with large star tip
Fondant Ears and bow
- 1 package white fondant
- 1 package purple fondant
- 1 package yellow fondant
Fondant Ears & Floral Pieces
- Sprinkle some powder sugar onto a cutting board.
- Roll out the white fondant into 1/4 inch thickness and cut out 48 circles of the white fondant for the ears and set aside.
- Roll out more white fondant into ¼ inch thickness and use the small and medium daisy fondant plunger to cut of floral pieces.
- Set aside to dry.
- Powder your hands with powder sugar and mold the yellow fondant into a nerd candy size ball and set aside allow to dry.
Directions on making the floral
- Dip your finger into a cup of water and lightly dab it onto the back of the small daisy fondant piece.
- Place it into the middle of the bigger daisy.
- Carefully dab a small amount of water onto the yellow ball and place into the center of the daisies.
- Allow drying for a few hours.
- Dab a bit of water onto the side of one of the white circles.
- Place the daisy on top of the ear.
- Allow drying for a few hours.
- Powder your hands with powder sugar and mold the Purple fondant into a ball.
- Pinch off 1 teaspoon size ball of fondant and press it into the larger bow size mold.
- Make 22 bows
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line cupcake pan with the cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, add the cake mix, butter, milk and stir until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake in the oven for about 21 minutes.
- Pull out the cupcakes and allow to cool before frosting.
Vanilla Frosting Instructions
- Using a standing mixer combine the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and mix on medium speed until combined and smooth.
- Scoop the white frosting into the piping bag.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with the frosting.
- Place a purple bow into the center of the frosting.
- Place the ears on the side of the bow.
- Do this for the rest of the 21 cupcakes and you are done.
Tips and tricks for perfect Minnie mouse cupcakes:
Although making these cupcakes are super easy, here are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Never overmix the batter of the cupcake. It should be lightly mixed and should be airy.
- When starting to decorate the cupcakes, make sure they are completely cool. Otherwise, the frosting will begin to melt away.
- Place the frosting in the refrigerator for some time after you pipe it into the bag. This way, it will hold shape.
- Don’t forget to sift powdered sugar.
- You can make the fondant decorations in advance. When storing it, place the decorations in a parchment-lined baking tray, and cover with cling film. Don’t refrigerate it. Instead, put it on the kitchen counter at room temperature.
- If you feel the frosting is a bit runny for your liking, you can add confectionary sugar to attain the desired thickness.
- For making cupcake batter, make sure the eggs are at room temperature.
- To bring in a chocolaty flavor, try adding small pieces of chocolate to each cupcake. So, when you bite into it, you get the goodness of chocolate.
- I have used sweet cream butter because it is made from fresh cream, not sour cream. However, you can also use regular butter as well.