Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Amazon & Walmart affiliate links are most often used.
Baseball/softball is a bit later around our area this year due to the pandemic. How much fun would it be to take these baseball cupcakes to the next game for the team afterward? I am sure the coach and players would enjoy them.
Who Invented Baseball?
A young man named Abner Doubleday from Cooperstown, New York invented the game known as baseball during the summer of 1839. Doubleday then went on to become a Civil War hero, while baseball became America’s beloved national pastime.
Which is the Oldest Baseball Team?
The Atlanta Braves is the oldest continually operating team in Major League Baseball; enfranchised in 1871 as the Boston Red Stockings (or Red Caps) in National Association, and with connections to the original independent professional Cincinnati Red Stockings of 1869–70; joined National League as a charter member (1876).
Out of the Park Baseball Cupcakes
- 1 cake mix box
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup milk whole
- ½ cup butter unsalted, sweet cream
Vanilla Frosting ingredients
- 1 cup butter unsalted, sweet cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 drops of leaf green gel food coloring
- 1 medium ice cream scooper
- 1 mini angled spatula
Baseball fondant piece
- 1 box of white vanilla fondant
- 1 tube of red cookie icing
- 1 disposable piping bag fitted with a number 2 tip
- 1 3 inch round circle cookie/fondant cutter
- 1 cup powdered sugar to dust cutting board
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners
- Using a standing mixer, combine all cupcake ingredients and beat on medium speed until combined, smooth and fluffy
- Scoop batter into the cupcake liners about 3/4 full
- Bake in the oven for 21 minutes
- Once baked, allow cooling completely
Baseball fondant piece directions
- Sprinkle powdered sugar onto a cutting board
- roll out fondant into 1/2 inch thickness
- Use the cutter and cut out 22 circles
- Squeeze the cookie icing into the piping bag
- Pipe out the lines of the baseball onto the fondant piece
- Allow to dry while you finish the cupcakes
Vanilla frosting directions
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients on medium to high speed until creamy, fluffy and stiff with peaks
- Using the ice cream scooper, scoop 1 mound of frosting onto the cupcake
- Using the angled spatula, spread it slightly to cover the entire top of the cupcake
- Carefully place baseball fondant piece into the center of the frosting
- Repeat steps with remaining frosting and enjoy!
Why is the Baseball Field Called a Diamond?
Another name for the baseball field is the “diamond” because of the shape of the infield. The infield is the area from the grass line into the home plate. It includes all the bases and is where most of the action in the game of baseball takes place. The bases are just about the most important part of the baseball field.