Fall is everything apples and pumpkins such as this Apple Spice Cake. Your family will enjoy this for your next dessert to enjoy just one of the fruits of the season with a bit of spice added in.
Disclosure: Amazon & Walmart links may be incorporated into the post. If clicked I may receive a small commission from your purchase.
What Makes this Apple Spice Cake Easy to Make?
This cake is easy to make since you are using a pre-made cake mix. Also since the topping uses canned apple pie filling this will help save time. Then the use of the instant pot tops off the baking with ease.
What if I Don’t Have an Instant Pot, Can I Still Make This Cake?
If you don’t have an instant pot, you can still make this cake. It might look a little different but the outcome will be the same taste-wise. Instead of using a springform pan you can use 2-8 inch round pans, and splitting the batter between the 2.
Directions for Apple Spice Cake in the Oven
You Will Need the following ingredients for the cake in the oven (not instant pot)
- 1 Cup (250 mL) Water
- 1/3 (80 mL) Cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 Large Eggs
- PREHEAT oven to 180°C (350° F) for metal and glass pan(s), 165°C (325°F) for dark or coated pan(s).*
- GREASE sides and bottom of the pan(s) and flour lightly. Use baking cups for cupcakes.
- BLEND cake mix, water, oil, and eggs in a large bowl at low speed until moistened (about 30 seconds).
- BEAT at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- POUR batter in pan(s) and bake immediately.
- BAKE in the center of the oven following the chart below. *Add 3-5 minutes to bake time for dark or coated pan(s). The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- COOL cake(s) in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake(s) from pan and cool completely before frosting.
- Once you have done the above instructions, you can follow the recipe card below for your cinnamon frosting, and topping.
- You will NOT have to cut your cake in 2 because you will have made 2 round cakes. Just make sure to skim off the top of each cake so they lay flat against each other.
Easy Instant Pot Apple Spice Cake
Cinnamon Frosting Ingredients
- 1 8 oz can of apple pie filling
- 1 bottle of salted caramel sauce
- Cake Directions
1. Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix, canola oil, water, and eggs until combined and smooth.
2. Spray the springform pan with pam baking spray.
3. Pour half of the batter into the pan, filling it to about 3/4 halfway full.
4. Place your trivet inside up the instant pot.
5. Cover the top of the springform pan with a paper towel and foil.
6. Place the springform pan into the instant pot and close the lid, making sure the vent is sealed.
7. Cook on manual/ high pressure for 30 minutes.
8. Do a natural release for 15 minutes.
9. Remove the cake and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan 10. Place cake onto the cake board.
11. Using a cake leveler, cut the dome off and slice the cake in half
- Cinnamon Frosting Directions
1. Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients together until combined, smooth, and stiff with peaks. Scoop 1 C of frosting into the piping bag and set aside.
- Directions to Building the Cake
- 1. Remove the apples from the apple pie filling and chop into bite-size pieces. Place into a bowl with about 3 tbsp of the filling jam.
2. Using the bottom layer of the cake, scoop1 C of frosting onto the layer and smooth evenly.
3. Place the second layer on top
4. Using the remaining frosting, frost the entire cake.
5. Using the piping bag, pipe dollops along the edge of the cake.
6. Scoop the apple pie filling into the center of the top of the cake.
7. Drizzle caramel sauce over the cake.
- Waa-laa you are all done.
To Keep Up to Date with any New Recipes Follow our Facebook page here: Before & After Lunch Recipes.