It’s the Best Rich Layered Cake Covered in Sprinkles that will bring a smile to your face!
Many at-home bakers, when first seeing this rich layered cake, may not feel confident about baking it. It might just seem too difficult for them to make. But, in fact, there is nothing difficult about making this cake. Especially if you follow the detailed instructions and stock up on the required ingredients.
You are more than capable of making this yummy cake at home and surprising your guests and family with this amazing dessert. It will make an excellent cake for birthdays, (especially if you want to change up the colors), anniversaries, or even the holidays.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Amazon & Walmart affiliate links are most often used.
You Will Need These to Make Your Best Rich Layered Cake:
Useful Tips When Making Your Best Rich Layered Cake
- Allow the cake to cool completely before covering with foil and setting them aside to use the next day. It will help you to get a clean-cut slice of cake.
- If you do not plan to serve dessert to the table immediately, it is better to leave it in a cold place and take it out an hour or two before serving.
- We used a handheld blender to mix everything better, but you can also just mix it with a spatula or a wooden spoon.
- Don’t take shortcuts and let the cake cool completely. If you put the frosting on the semi-warm cake, it will completely melt. As a result, the entire cake will be collapse. You can also freeze the cake for a cooling purpose if needed.
- Give preference to quality materials. Otherwise, the cake will either break down at the most inopportune moment, or it will emit unpleasant odors and harmful substances.
Cake Decoration Ideas if Sprinkles are not Your Thing
Show your imagination with decoration. The dessert will become a real decoration on the festive table. For a simple look, stick with vanilla buttercream, fresh berries, and mint sprigs. You can also decorate with chocolate buttercream, rainbow sprinkles, or even beautiful buttercream flowers.
Remember! If you are making desserts to order, you do not have time for mistakes. Use only the decoration idea used in this recipe.
Cake Mix Substitute
We have used chocolate cake mix because it is quick and easy to prepare. But you can make the batter homemade by using all-purpose flour, kosher salt, baking powder, cocoa powder, and granulated sugar. Moreover, you can also use vanilla or other flavors for making the cake.
How Much Frosting is Required Between the Cake Layers?
Cook’s Illustrated gives the perfect advice on how many cups to use between layers as well as how many cups to use on top. They also mention how many cups for a 2 layer cake. You can click here for that information. Thank you Cook’s!
How to store this cake?
You can store this cake in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. But don’t forget to put it in an airtight container.
If you tried the recipe, share your experience in the comment box. Also, share the recipe with your friends and family.
It’s the Best Rich Layered Cake Covered in Sprinkles
- 3 10in round cake boards
- 3 9in round cake pans
- Purple gel food coloring
- Sky Blue gel food coloring
- 2 boxes cake mix chocolate fudge
- 6 eggs large
- 2½ cups milk whole
- 1 cup butter unsalted, sweet cream, softened
Vanilla Frosting ingredients
- 2 cups butter unsalted, sweet cream, softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 10.5 oz Rainbow Jimmie Sprinkles** **See below Recipe Notes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray the cake pans with pam baking spray.
- Using a large bowl, beat the cake mix, butter, eggs, and milk until combined and smooth.
- Evenly divide the cake batter between the 3 pans.
- Place into the oven and bake for 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before covering with foil and setting them aside to use the next day. By doing this, it will allow you to get a clean cut slice of cake.
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream together until combined, smooth and stiff with peaks.
- Once the frosting is made, divide the 1 ½ C of frosting into 2 small bowls, leaving the rest in the mixing bowl for the outer layer of the cake.
- In one bowl, mix in 4 drops of purple gel food coloring.
- In the second bowl, mix in 4 drops of blue gel food coloring.
Building the cake directions
- Remove the cakes from the pans and onto the cake boards.
- Using a cake slicer, slice off the tops of the cakes to create a flat cake layer.
- Using one of the cake layers as the bottom layer, scoop the purple frosting onto the cake layer and spread it evenly.
- Place a second cake layer on top.
- Scoop the blue frosting on top of the cake layer and spread evenly .
- Place the third cake layer on top of the frosting.
- Smooth the two frostings on the outside to create a smooth layer on the outside.
- Using the white frosting, completely coat the cake in the white frosting and smooth evenly.
- Place the cake onto a cookie sheet.
- Using the sprinkles, completely coat the cake in the sprinkles.
- Once coated, place the cake in the fridge for a few hours to allow it to harden.
What can I use instead of a cake board?
If you do not have access to cake boards. You can make them at home. When making cake boards at home, you can use supplies that you likely already have at home. Heavy-duty cardboard, tin foil, or even wrapping paper. By using scissors or an Exacto knife you can cut the cardboard to the exact size you need, then cover it with foil.
Can you stack two cakes without support?
Multi-layered cakes without a good foundation will tend to collapse, making you waste all the time you put into your cake. Two-tier cakes usually get away without having a dowel in between, as long as the cake is well balanced. But using cake boards can’t hurt your process.
How do you stack cake layers without breaking them?
To avoid breaking the top layer when building your cake you can pop it into the freezer. This will help ensure the layer is stable. If you’re short on time, use a spatula to gently lift the top layer onto the bottom.
Why are my cake layers sliding?
It is so frustrating when your cake layers slide all over the place while you’re trying to frost your cake. This can happen when your cake layers aren’t chilled, your buttercream is too thin, or if you’re filling your cake with a soft filling like jam.
Is it better to wrap the cake in foil or cling film?
Always wrap sponges, cupcakes, or cake slices well in cling film. This is to make a protective barrier and to keep them from drying out. Make sure all cut sides are completely covered to prevent the sponge from going dry.
What do you put on the cake before icing?
Although not mentioned in this recipe, it is optional. You should use simple syrup on your cake layers and then fill/decorate as you normally would.